Great women and great places in Cambridge, MA
When we started this group in June, we had no idea we would be at over 150 members by the end of the year! We want to share our success, so our December event will be special. We are having a special night of creativity, festivity, and giving for our December Meet Up. The night will take place at Ten Thousand Villages in Central Square Cambridge, where manager Gia and her team are going all out to welcome us.
Savenor’s (WIC’s newest partner and sponsor and the famous supplier to Cantibridgian Juila Child) will add to the good cheer by providing us with samplings from their famous butcher counter and market. All we can say is, “YUM!” Juliana will tell us about their history and philosophy. But you don’t have to wait for the event to get started on your own holiday planning. You can order your holiday turkey (or bison, wild boar…) now by going to Savenor’s Holiday Menu: https://www.savenorsmarket.com/store/home/category/holiday.
We will be giving our support to the Community Art Center, whose mission is to empower youths through artistic expression. Founded in 1932 in Cambridge in the Central Square neighborhood, the Art Center engages and supports youths ages 5-19 in afterschool and summer programs. Executive Director Eryn Johnson and staff will be on hand to tell us about their programs, which include art classes in a variety of media emphasizing growth through finding one’s own voice, visiting artists, community projects, video festivals, meals and snacks, coordination with schools, and transportation.
Below is the Art Center’s wish list:
Cash and any portable items donation will be collected at the event, but please contact email@example.com or call 617-868-7100 wish questions or to coordinate volunteering or to drop-off of heavy items.
· Computer and Technical support – including training, installation and training of new programs, trouble shooting, maintenance and repair of equipment, etc.
· Handyman and Construction support- assist with maintaining the facility
· Administrative support- i.e. organizational, filing, research, etc.
· School Age Volunteers and Teen Media Program Mentors- one-on-one support to program staff and children including homework support
· Teach or assist a teacher – in video production, photography, ceramics, sculpture, painting, drawing, theater, dance, and music
· Consultation on marketing and promotional strategies – producing brochures and developing marketing materials, designing and maintaining web page
· Event planning and logistical support- assist with event outreach and resource development
OTHER WISH LIST ITEMS
· Functional Dishwasher and Built-in Oven, Combo unit preferred
· Good quality PC Towers, Laptops, keyboards, mice, and monitors
· FREQUENT FLIER MILES for Youth Producers to travel to DIYDS Festival
· Hotel room vouchers for Youth Producers to stay in Cambridge during DIYDS festival
· Special event catering services for DIYDS festival
· Kitchen base cabinets
· Surround sound system for performing arts studio
· Costumes/dress up clothes and props for theater
· Music CDs and DVDs for kids with fun but appropriate content and lyrics
· Flat screen TV and DVD player
· Sporting equipment, books, musical instruments and music tapes
· Computer programs: Adobe preferred, with license
· Office furniture: desks, book cases, chairs, etc. in good condition
· Good condition kitchen supplies, large pots, pans, serving platters, etc.
· Digital video/computer projector
· Office supplies including paper for printer, copiers, and fax, notepads, pens
· Reprographic services: reproduction and binding of Annual Reports and handbooks
· Tickets to sporting events, arts and cultural events, museums
· Crayola or Rose Brand markers, any color or size
· Paint pens (assorted colors and sizes)
· Beads for jewelry making—the more unique, the better! (any size, but we have plenty of plain, large plastic beads already; we’d like to offer a more sophisticated jewelry class this winter)
· Clay—Crayola Model Magic, Sculpey or Fimo (assorted colors).
· Plain white T shirts to paint and dye, sized Child’s Small through Adult X-Large. (20 or more)
· Origami paper
· Large single sheets of handmade or decorative paper, available in art supply stores or at Papercraft
· Tubes (approx. 5 oz.) of artist’s acrylic paint, any brand
· Quarts of exterior semi-gloss enamel latex paint (bright colors; available at hardware stores)
· Paint brushes—flat, in widths ranging from 1/8 inch to 1 inch
· Fabric pens (assorted colors)
· Dry erase markers, Washable markers, Colored pencils
· Mat board, papers, various paints such as watercolor, poster, acrylic and paintbrushes
· Old, over-sized button down shirts or XL T-shirts that can be used as smocks